A Friend on the Walk
A Christian-based Survivor of Suicide Support Group
Call to register & get information: 614-427-2565.
This 8-week class is open to everyone – not just Christians.
The next group will begins September 9, 2019. 7:00-8:30pm
There is no fee for this class
AFOTW is a peer-facilitated group – meaning the people who organize and facilitate the discussion have also been personally impacted by a suicide loss.
Topics we will explore include but are not limited to…
- Five areas of impact of suicide grief: Physical, Social, Emotional, Cognitive and Spiritual.
- Common misconceptions about suicide & grief – both biblical and secular misconceptions.
- How to care for ourselves.
- How to ask for help/let others help.
- Where was God?
- What does the bible say about suicide?
- How we begin to integrate this loss into our life. We don’t “resolve” it. There is no such thing as “closure.”
At the end of 8 weeks an AFOTW group participant can expect…
- An understanding of how grief is unique for each person.
- An understanding of some common grief reactions to suicide loss. We recognize not everyone’s experience is the same. We hope to “normalize” this journey without “minimizing” it.
- Knowledge of encouraging bible scriptures including information on what the bible says about suicide.
- Access to additional resources including books, community resources including mental health professionals, and church recommendations if requested.
- To make at least one new friend.
What to expect at your first group meeting…
- A warm, welcoming group of facilitators.
- Prayer at the beginning and the end of our time together.
- Respect. For you, for your unique loss, and for your feelings.
- An opportunity to share a little bit – or nothing at all – about your loss or your journey.
- Take home resources. We will bring relevant helpful handouts.
- Snacks and beverages.